Tuesday, June 26, 2012

DC The New 52 Just isn't Doing it For Me

Yesterday was Marvel Monday here in The BOOM Page comic book section, we had a brief review of AvX Round 6, talked about some Spider-Man stuff and put up what books were coming out this week. Marvel Monday's are easy and fun for me to do, today I'd thought I'd do a DC day to be fair, but I'm having some problems.


The New 52 in where DC Comics has rebooted their entire comic book universe and started all books with a new number 1 just isn't doing it for me. I was an avid reader of DC comics, I collected JLA, all the Green Lantern Books, Detective Comics, occasionally some Action Comics and a few others. The Justice League was one of my favorite books for the longest time, then DC changed everything.


Now I am not against change or mixing things up a bit, but to take away a story and characters you were reading and making it different, well it just made it hard to stay with them. The only New 52 books I currently get each week are Green Lantern and Detective Comics. Those two seemed to be the ones least effected by the reboot and still contain the primary characters with the similar story to what I was following.


Now I know I should be open to new things, and some of the new artists and writers they've brought in for the new 52 are great. The whole thing was masterminded by Jim Lee, one of my favorite artists whose work on X-Men is legendary. But this new Justice League with Green Lantern being a really big jerk and Batman pretty much letting him just doesn't feel right. 


Marvel comics had the right idea, they rebooted their universe as well and changed everything but they did so in what they call the Ultimate Universe. A series of titles about their characters like Spider-Man, The Avengers, X-Men but they're the Ultimate Avengers or Ultimate Spider-Man.They gave their readers a choice to see if they wanted to switch it up, the didn't just take everything you knew and dump it outside. 


Its only 10 issues in, I'll pick up a book here and there, sometimes I wait to get the digital version of the book and only pay $1.99 per issue rather than the $3.99 normal cost, but for the most part my relationship with DC just isn't there. 


So if there is someone out there who would like to be the official DC Comics correspondant for The BOOM page I happily invite you to send me a message, I'd love to welcome you to the staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment